Onto my cube. Since I got on this project back in July '08 I've had a number of different assigned spots to sit. My best guess is that the # is now up to 6. Every once in a while I just get an email telling me I'm being moved for some reason. Never has the reason to be to sit next to or in the vicinity of the rest of my team. I'm like the mumbler from Office Space basically. So my last move from last year moved me down to the 4th floor (while the rest of my team is still on the 5th) but this was actually an improvement. I'm not exactly the first one into the office and this allowed me to discretely come in without having to hear about it. It was nice and tucked away and much quieter than the 5th floor so I actually got more done. Recently though I received an email that my cube was being taken away and I'm going to be reassigned. I didn't worry about it at the time because I was working from home. When I got into the office on Monday I asked our secretary where my new cube was and he lead me to the 4th floor - there were 3 PCs and 2 chairs in a cube smaller than my previous one. Okay so what the hell is going on here. I put my stuff down and immediately go find the guy in charge to tell him this isn't happening and to find me an unshared place to sit or I'm going back to the hotel to work from there. He shows me the cube of a guy that is out of town and I can sit there. I head back upstairs to chat with a few people and find a more desirable place to sit and it's even got a window view. I am able to sit there for 2 hours until someone puts up a fuss that I'm sitting at his PC so I move one spot over and have been here for 3 days so far but who knows about next week. I'm about to just tell them I can't come up anymore until I get a permanent and acceptable place to sit.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
NYC - work
Well I'm up in NYC again for work and it's been a long work week so far. I was told to fly up on Sunday night so that I could be into work early on Monday to support some training that was going on. I setup the environment that they were going to supposedly use and if anything broke then I was supposed to be available to quickly fix it. I show up bright and early on Monday morning and the trainers are nowhere to be found. Nobody in the office knows where they are or where the training is supposed to happen. After about 30 min of searching I gave up and decided to settle down in my cube. This whole ordeal is a story by itself so I'll go over it in the next paragraph. Come to find out the training session didn't start until 11am so there was no need for me to come in early on Sunday. A coworker comes over to tell me this morning however that training is now canceled and put off until 2 weeks from now. This angers me just a bit because I've already booked next week's flight for Sunday -> Friday in anticipation of being here to support the second week of training. I'm glad someone is on top of things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

please hang on to your stapler
ReplyDeleteHey -- in my old consulting days, I was once told that all I could have is a filing cabinet to work on -- 4 drawer at that! Ummmm...that means standing up! Ha!
ReplyDeleteUncle Rob is obviously enjoying your blogs! :-)
Love you, Mom
that was a reference to the comedy movie 'office space'
ReplyDelete