Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Weekend in NYC

Holy crap it's been a long time since I've updated this thing.  I get a little behind and then I get overwhelmed because I have so much to say - not that anyone really cares.  I'm skipping over a whole lot and I may come back to bits and pieces in future updates as it strikes me.

This past weekend Lora and I spent in NYC.  I flew up on Wednesday and was required to stay over the weekend for work since the projet I've been working on since last July was going live into production.  I was fairly certain it'd be a snoozefest all weekend so we decided to fly Lora in so we could hang out.  Of course at about 1pm on Friday all hell broke loose and I ended up spending more time at work than I wanted.  We still were able to hang out a good bit and even when I was working Lora didn't let it stop her from seeing the sites.

She flew in Friday at 5pm but I wasn't able to leave work until about 7 or 8pm.  We were planning on going to Blue Note - a famous Jazz club in NYC near NYU in the West Village.  We watched a youtube video earlier in the week on the band that would be there and the guitarist was pretty amazing - although once we got there I think I may have been more impressed with the pianist.  Since I was running late we ended up having to just eat there and the food was pretty good.  All in all it ended up being a great show and we enjoyed it.  We had planned to hitup God's gift to the hotdog eating world for a late night snack - Crif Dogs over in East Village but we 
were too full and decided to pass.

For Saturday, I had to be in the office at 9am to see how things were moving along.  It was looking good and by lunch I was able to leave and met Lora and took her to this great Indian place that I'd told her about before.  They definitely make some of the best Indian food I've ever had.  Afterwards our plan was to go to the Staten Island Ferry and ride it for a good view of the Statue of Liberty but while we were waiting to board I got a call from work and ended up having to run back to the office and Lora went by herself.  After she was done she headed up to the zoo in Central Park.  After playing with the animals she headed back to the hotel where I met her later before we went out to dinner.  We went to this place I'd gone before in the famous food distrcit Hell's Kitchen and really enjoyed - in fact the name of the place is also Hell's Kitchen.  Lora ordered a delicious Snapper dish and I got the Mahi Mahi which was great as well.  Afterwards we went to my goto bar spot in that area - Social.  We had some drinks and chatted for a bit.  Eventually we stumbled back to the nearest train and rode it back to the hotel.



On Sunday - I woke up early again and headed into the office but just for a quick check then made it back to the hotel before Lora was done getting ready.  Our plan was to grab a bit to eat and get tickets for the 3pm matinee of God of Carnage (I'll write more about this in a bit).  We got some tickets which I wish were cheaper than they were but the seats ended up being decent although not close enough to see the smallest facial expression changes that people up close were laughing at.  For lunch we went to another place I've been before but hadn't gone in ~6months or so - 5 Napkin Burger - you really only need one but they are great and messy.  Afterwards we hit the show and then went back to the hotel to relax for a bit before Lora's flight and I was scheduled to be back at work by 6:30 to prepare for the very late night.

My favorite thing that we did in NYC this past weekend was that we saw God of Carnage on Broadway (http://www.godofcarnage.com/).  It was absolutely hilarious.  It had a slow start and the jokes were a little too dry and "adult" for us but after about 15 minutes into it the real fun began.  It's about 2 sets of parents (James Gandolfini from Sopranos and Jeff Daniels from Dumb and Dumber were the dads) - one of their kids beat up the other kid and they are meeting to discuss the fight.  I highly recommend seeing it to everyone.

Ok so that covers the weekend - since then I've been working late nights.  I left work on Sunday just before midnight and on Monday I left shortly after midnight after arriving that morning at 7:15am.  Last night I abandoned ship about 8pm to meet some friends out for dinner and drinks for Cinco de Mayo.  Tonight is probably going to be another late night.

Now onto my rant for the day.  My cellphone has been having this issue where the slider has been coming very loose and over the past 2 weeks or so it's progressively gotten worse.  Today the whole thing separated basically so my phone was in 2 pieces.  Pretty sure it was a simple fix I Googled how to disassemble the phone and came across a useful YouTube link.  I watched and in the end it was just 4 screws that needed to be tightened but they weren't very accessible without taking the phone apart.  I then looked up the nearest Sprint Repair Center which luckily was right down the street from work and headed down there.  I talked to the lady behind the desk and she quoted me $119.  I laughed and told her to recheck because all I need to do is have 4 screws tightened - she rechecked and came back with $119 again.  I walked over to the guy doing the repairs and confirmed with him that all I needed was a T6 and small Philips head screwdriver and a few minutes then went on my way.  Next stop - a hardware store.  There was one right down the street so I walked in and asked about their return policy because I have these tools at home but I couldn't wait until I got home.  The guy laughed at me and said we're not a free rental store - you buy it then it's yours - this was no Home Deport or Lowes.  $7.36 later and I'm heading back to the office to fix my phone.  It took me about 10 minutes to fix everything and for someone experienced it would have taken even less - that works out to about $700/hr to screw in 4 screws - I'm in the wrong line of business.

I have tons more to say but I'll leave that for later.  Lora told me I make these things too long and people don't really care about all the details I include - in my opinion it's all about the details 

No comments:

Post a Comment