Friday, November 5, 2010

Hong Kong – The Peak – Nov. 1

Today started off great – had some good meetings at work and so far the trip was going pretty well. I asked during my meetings what I should that night and where I should go from some good food. I was told I should go visit the Peak. I later Googled it and it seemed like a good tourist spot to go – great view at least. For dinner I wanted to try some sushi.

I ended up at a place called Sushi Express – despite the lame name the menu looked good and tasted great too. It was similar to an American sushi menu other than most of the rolls came in sets of 2 or 1. I treated myself to a single order of the Wagyu beef and it was extremely delicious. I didn’t order Sake and to be honest I really didn’t even think to – I almost always order Sake with sushi oh well. After I was done the guy making the sushi offered me a free piece – I was stuffed but gobbled it down anyways. The biggest disappointment about this place was that it had a conveyor belt but it was turned off unfortunately – I’ve always wanted to eat at a place with one. After dinner I made my way to the MTR (subway) to head to the Central stop which was a short walk away from the tram to the top of the peak.

The tram itself was pretty interesting – it was built back in the old days and was used to climb the mountain. There are 3 cars to the tram and the middle was reserved for the “upper class.” There were 2 seats always reserved until just 2 minutes before the tram left for the governor – just in case he showed up. The tram ride was pretty cool and at some point was at a 27 degree incline. After I got to the top I had to go up about 5 escalators and finally made it to the Peak. I went outside and the view was spectacular. I walked around a bit and tried to figure out the best spot to get the best shot. I used the large binoculars that you put $$ into and put my camera on top to steady it for long exposure shots. The view was truly spectacular. This has to be one of the best, if not THE best, views I’ve ever seen. I did another one of my video tours for Lora and after freezing my ass off I finally made my way back down to the tram. It was a short ride back down to the bottom and I walked around a bit just to take in the city and eventually got tired and went back to the hotel to review the photos I took.

It was a pretty low key night but the view of Hong Kong at night was great. I went back to the room to work a bit before another early morning. I’ve been waking up early and going to bed very late – not a lot of sleep so far for this trip but I’m still having the time of my life. Really the only thing missing from the trip is doing the sightseeing with Lora – I’ll bring her back one day though. She’s never been a huge fan of Asia and not really ever expressed interest in coming out here. I wish I was able to call someone and tell/show them all the stuff I’m seeing while it’s going on. I’m used to be so connected to everyone that not being able to easily call someone up sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment