Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day 4

Our nonstop full force ahead attitude finally took its toll this morning. We were woken up this morning by the front desk calling us at 10am to ask if we were coming down for breakfast – the alarm I had set for 8am didn’t go off because I had set it for Saturday instead of Sunday. Even after the phone call we decided it wasn’t time to get up just yet and went back to sleep until 11am when we finally decided it was about time to head out. On our way out the guy at the front desk that knew us pretty well by made a joke about us waking up so late – we’re at a really small hotel (only 33 rooms) so the staff knows everyone pretty much.

Our first stop today was at the Notre Dame – we’d gone by for pictures earlier but we were going to go up the towers and inside the cathedral today. On the way we picked up some street crepes to fill our bellies and they were quite delicious. While waiting in line we met a mother/daughter from Tulsa, OK that we chatted with for a bit – it was nice to have a conversation with some Americans. Lora said the Notre Dame was her favorite thing that we’ve done so far. I was pretty impressed as well – we went up the towers and climbed 400 stairs and I’m very glad we did this first because if this was last I wouldn’t have been happy. We got to see the famous bell that the Hunchback of Notre Dame rang in the famous book – there was even someone dressed up as the hunchback outside taking pictures with people for a small fee or as we chose to do – taking a picture of him with someone else was free, heh. After we went up the towers we went inside of the Notre Dame and it was spectacular but they were milking it for all it’s worth. They were asking for 2 Euros to light a small candle and 5 Euros for a large candle – however to watch people light candles was free – we aren’t big candle lighters and thankfully so. We made our way out of here and headed to the Saint Chapelle.

We waited in a somewhat short line to enter the Saint Chapelle – well known church for its stained glass. The security at this place was at a higher level than anywhere we’ve been so far – including the Louvre. There was a family in front of us and when the girl went through the metal detector she beeped so they made her check her pockets and go back through. She placed some change on the conveyor belt for the x-ray machine and tried again. This process went on for the next 5 minutes – now we know why the line was as long as it was. Literally, every time she went through the metal detector she set it off and then took something else out of her pockets – the 4th or 5th time she pulled 4 batteries out – I’m fairly sure she’s not a frequent traveler or the country she’s from just doesn’t care about security. Eventually they made her take her coat off and she still didn’t get through – for a moment I got excited thinking they might just make her strip down in front of everyone – this never happened – they eventually got the wand out and let her through. We made it in and were disappointed almost immediately – it was a small room that was taken up mostly by the gift store. Eventually though we found a small unmarked staircase in a corner and decided to try it out – it lead to the main event. We were presented with an amazing display of very large stained glass windows. They went up probably 50 feet or so and were quite impressive. We snapped some photos and after admiring the scene left and headed to the Louvre gardens.

Once we got off the train we headed towards the Louvre gardens that were very nice (it’s worth noting here that again Lora tried to use an old train ticket multiple times before resolving to use a new one – I need to take a video of this process). After admiring the gardens for a bit we made our way to a famous restaurant known for its hot chocolate that Lora’s friend had recommended to us. There was a line out the door to get in – it must be good. We waited about 15 minutes for a table and once we got one were presented with a large menu of entrees, desserts, and drinks. We both ordered their famous hot chocolate and I got a crème brulee unlike any I’ve ever had and Lora got a cheesecake that was just as unique. The hot chocolate was like melting down the most amazing candy bar known to man and putting in our cups – it even came with a separate cup filled with whipped cream. We left Angelina’s and head to the Arc de Triumph at the end of the Champs de Elysses.

We got here to find a few policemen guarding the entrance – after speaking to one of them we found out there was a demonstration going on and it was closed until tomorrow – thanks for the update on the website guys. We snapped some pictures and headed down the Champs de Elysses – for those that don’t know this is basically Paris’ 5th avenue. We did some window shopping at Cartier and saw many items well over 10k Euros. We continued down the street stopping at a few places to take some pictures – it was quite impressive. Ever since we’d seen our first McDonalds in Paris I wanted to have a Royale with Cheese (note the Pulp Fiction reference – if you haven’t seen the movie just skip ahead). I settled with going inside to take a picture of the menu. I still might order one before we leave if I get the chance. We made our way to the end of the Champs de Elysses and decided it was time to head back to the hotel for a quick rest before going out for dinner.

We decided to not do anything else tonight other than dinner and some drinks with the hopes that we might get to bed early. We have a somewhat busy day tomorrow – we’ve hit almost everything in Paris that we set out to with just a few items left. Tomorrow is our last full day here so we need to make it count.

So after a short stop off at the the hotel so we could rest before we headed out for dinner. I can't even adequately impress upon you what a disaster this idea was. We were set out to go to this place that was recommended but unfortunately it was closed. For the next hour we wandered around the city trying to find a place and after a few tries - one we even sat down at and then subsequently left - we settled on a place called Dalton. For those of you that aren't familiar with French, Dalton translates to Crappy Food. Lora ordered a paella and I ordered a ribeye. When I saw ribeye I really mean something closely resembling a steak but meant worse than a McDonalds hamburger. The only redeeming fact was that the wine was pretty good. We sucked it down pretty fast though as to leave as quickly as possible. I present to you a picture of the my steak below as well as the price we ended up paying.

Clearly unsatisfied we turned to ole reliable - the wonderful golden arches. We knew of one on the way back to the hotel that we'd passed before - Lora grudgingly went along for the glorious ride. I was determined to have a Royale with Cheese and Lora couldn't decide between eating my fries or having a McFlurry - she ended up going with the fries. While in line I quickly looked up the words ketchup and only (already knowing the word for cheese) and I think perhaps I fooled the guy behind the counter into thinking I was French for a moment - that is until he started speaking English to me. Regardless the order was in and we waited to eat. We went to sit down and I quickly pulled out the camera - a moment like this just has to be captured - a better picture would have been of Lora as she sat there barely believing we were in Paris eating at McDonalds - a place we avoid in the US. The fries and coke tasted just as they do in the US - the burger was slightly different though and had almost a sugary taste to it. In the end the only thing I can say is thanks Samuel L Jackson for this great idea (if we want to get technical I guess I can thank Quentin Tarantino). After brightening up the end of our day we headed back to the hotel to go to sleep. Tomorrow we plan to go to Montemarte and to the Opera house.

p.s. Lora would like me to note that I am now the keeper of the train tickets and when she had trouble yet again today - I gave them to her to try - I still laughed when she made her valiant attempts.

1 comment:

  1. Hello from St. Louis; sounds like a great trip; thanks for sharing it with us, Anne and Clint.

    ReplyDelete