Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Departure Day: Paris

I believe that I'm going to give this blogging thing a chance.  We'll see how it goes.   My mind jumps around a lot and seems to make writing in a coherent paragraph style quite difficult - I can't figure out when to start a new paragraph and when not to - I just push enter occasionally.  Who's really going to read this stuff anyways?

The day has arrived - it's time to go.  Lora began physically packing days ago, perhaps even weeks ago in her mind.  I sort of half began last night after being asked numerous times to quit whatever it was I was doing.  We decided on 1 large suitcase / 1 carry-on / my bookbag / Lora's new bag that doubles as a purse.  I also have a carrying-around bag that is packed away in the large suitcase.  There is a little bit of space leftover for any purchases we make while over there - maybe even room for the countless numbers of people that have asked for a gift.
Today has been a little scattered with a last minute run to the book store (even though I went yesterday as well - maybe more on that in a bit) to pickup a translation dictionary since the electronic one I received years ago decided to not work.  It's a good thing we decided to go today because there wasn't a car on the roads....right.  While sitting in traffic I pondered the question of how old will I be when I have driven more miles than I've ridden - my rough guess is 40-45.  My plan is to track mileage of my first kid until he/she turns 16-18 and come up with a better answer - as you may imagine....Lora laughed at the whole thought of me doing this and dismissed it as something I'll forget about.  Onto more pressing matters - in the process of verifying we actually know how to get from the airport to our hotel - we've also rethought the train tickets in Paris and are going to buy 1-use t+ tickets instead of an unlimited pass.  

There is really only one big outstanding item and it's where we are going to have Christmas Dinner - all of the places I've tried to reserve a table at or emailed have been closed.  I'm fairly certain the people at the hotel will have an idea and if not maybe we'll just have a royale with cheese (I watched Pulp Fiction again recently).

We had our last bite to eat before exploring foreign food at the ever wonderful 5 Guys - I'm fairly certain France has nothing on their french fries but maybe we'll see.  Speaking of food - just as I was certain that Lora was finished with her stocking candy and was already eating mine - one of our neighbors brought by a delightful goodie bag filled with treats.  We waited a solid 3 minutes before digging in - I'm actually eating one of those cupcake shaped cookies that is filled with chocolate  right now.

Well the batteries are charged and the adapters are packed and we still won't have enough juice for my laptop to keep me entertained so I decided to venture to Borders yesterday to buy some books even though I'm uncertain they'll get read.  I plan to watch Slumdog Millionaire on the plane first - everyone keeps raving about it.  It's just not fair that power ports are only available to first class.

Away we go!  A little under 8 hours in coach and then we arrive to a Christmas in Paris.  Take note guys....because I think I'm going to milk this idea for a long time to come - something to the likes of "I may not be the most romantic guy in the world but I did take my wife to Paris for Christmas."

The next update will be from abroad.

1 comment:

  1. I see a place left for my present, but where will you put everyone else's? -- Mom

    ReplyDelete