Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sunday Sunday Sunday…

Just the weekend update – nothing too crazy to report.  I would have posted this yesterday but my laptop died and I got a new one this morning. 

It was a pretty good weekend – started off more or less on Thursday with trivia night at Kayson’s.  So far we haven’t been to a trivia night and not placed – we got first this time.  If you read the story previously about the mermaid then you know about the world’s dumbest bartender that was working at Kayson’s again this night.  She played her part well when the last question was to put in order from north to south the following cities: Lincoln, Nebraska; Washington D.C.; Madison, Wisconsin; Cleveland, Ohio.  We were well suited with a pilot that flies to most of the places and a champion at geography that a map of the US states to scale on a napkin.  We wrote the names of a few of the states in to help aid everyone but not all of them – at the end we asked the bartender if she could name a few of the states and she first pointed to West Virginia and said that’s Rhode Island (face palm).  This was followed by Brandon pointed to Alabama and asking which state it was – after she confirmed Florida she then said that must be Georgia.  She was disappointed when he said no – she then followed up with Arkansas – doh!  In the end Brandon told her that it was Alabama and she remarked that she always forgot about that one.  The night was filled with wonderfully politically correct advice regarding women – 3 out of the 4 of us are married so we have plenty to give.  It’s a good thing we didn’t have any of the women with us because we surely would have been smacked a few times – due to nothing more than complimenting their great qualities of course.  I know Lora’s going to read this at some point so let’s throw out a big I love you at the end =].

Friday night we played poker with the guys over at a friend’s house.  There was a lot of action in the first hour with tons of large pot bad beats.  A few of us left before it was over at about 12:30am due to a double header soccer game Saturday morning.  We told everyone when we started so there was no surprise with us wanting to leave and cash out - typically we don’t let people cash out.  Nothing too exciting happened during poker other than the usual smack-talking that goes on.  It was brought up while playing that one of our neighbors was having people over for the Super Bowl but it sounded like it might be a bit packed for the rest of us to show up.  Lora and I had kicked around the idea of having people over but never ended up doing anything about it – by Saturday we decided let’s do it – just a little bit of a late decision.  All in all - it was a fun night that had to end too early in my opinion. 

Skip forward to Saturday – we woke up pretty early to do the 30 minute drive to the soccer fields.  We played 2 back-to-back games and won the first one and lost the second one.  We were pretty evenly matched for the first game but very outplayed by a better team for the second game.  We left and headed home for some food because we were all starving.  On Friday, I went to the grocery store and bought some chicken wings, Italian sausage, and a new chicken wing sauce that Stubbs makes.  I marinated the wings overnight in the sauce and basted them with it while grilling them.  After they were done I plated them and got a little bit of the sauce on my finger and it had quite a spicy kick to it.  I immediately realized I might have made a huge mistake – Lora doesn’t like spicy things and this sauce had more spice than even I like.  Granted these wings were very large and probably twice the size of your typical Hooter’s wing – nonetheless half-way through my first wing my mouth was on fire – my lips were angry with me and I went to the kitchen to pour out my ice water and fill my glass with milk.  After the first wing was conquered I was to the point of wiping the tears away from my eyes.  Lora was about to take her first bite and ended after 2 more – she was done and ready to move onto the Italian sausage.  I was pretty upset with myself that I didn’t even both to taste the new sauce before using it – oh well I was ready to man up to the mistake and ended up eating 2 more wings before tapping out.  By the time I got to the third, it wasn’t even that bad because my mouth has numbed up to it I think.  We started with 8 and ended up with 2 mainly due to myself and Kyle, one of my step-brothers knocking 3 each out.  Afterwards Lora gave me the fun task of cleaning the bathrooms in the house.  Those got finished somewhat hesitantly but still quickly.  I even cleaned the bottom of our shower – quite impressive!  After that it was time for the NCSU/UNC basketball game – we lost which wasn’t a big shock.  Since the idea of having a few people over for the game on Sunday was a go we decided to make a Costco run to pick up a few items for everyone.  No surprise – we forgot a few things and had to run to the grocery store the next day.  The night was relaxing and we just ended up watching a movie – Sunshine.  It had a very lame plotline but ended up being pretty good – 8 or so people were going to insert a big bomb into the dying sun to reignite it.  The bad guy wasn’t developed enough I thought but it had some interesting twists throughout.  Lora went to bed and Kyle and I watched the new Daniel Craig (the new Bond guy) movie Defiance – it was much slower than anticipated but had a great storyline.


Sunday was a pretty relaxing day up until the game – some cleaning, a haircut, grocery shopping for forgotten items.  We just hung out most of the day until the game.  Lora and I spent the hour or so before people arrived preparing the food and drinks and whatnot – it was just going to be a few friends and not a huge ordeal.  Thirty minutes before the game started one of our neighbors stopped by because I told him I wanted in on his squares board earlier – Lora and I got 4 but none hit.  The impromptu Super Bowl party definitely didn’t cease to amuse.  With the combination of people’s squares that they had bought and the close game it kept things interesting.  There were a few bad beats in the game much like poker game we played just a few nights ago.  All in all we ended up with way too much food – is that really a problem though.  Lora began the cleanup process after the troops cleared out and I even helped – although I will say that there wasn’t really a big mess.  We reorganized the living room to the normal setup and began to watch the one hour special of the Office – is there really a better show on.  We quickly realized that there was no way we’d make it through the whole hour and put it on pause until Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment