Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Past Week Update

In this edition of the blog we have a few items to discuss.  The end of my week up in NYC and the weekend in Atlanta are the two main events.  I plan to touch on the wonderfully exciting Lora and Alan Sunday ritual.

So here we go - it seems thus far that I keep up with the blog mainly when Lora and I have a conversation and it makes me think – you know what…I haven’t updated the blog lately.  I’ll touch that subject at the end of the blog tonight.  I’m going to start with NYC.  I have yet to have a bad time in that city – of course I don’t have to live there.  Wednesday night is our typical go-all-out-get-drunk night – this is due to the hotel I stay at throwing an open bar 5-7pm at a nice Italian restaurant up the street.  This particular Wednesday was also the day that my company had some pretty large layoffs (not sure of the exact # yet but the estimate was well over 10,000).  My boss decided to schedule my yearly review at 4pm this day as well so I was freaking out the entire day almost after I found out the layoffs…err resource action as we call it…were occurring.  Fortunately though the review went well and I think it was the best one I’ve received since I started working there – woohoo!   My boss and I have a few mutual friends and at the end of the review we discussed the layoffs and he told me that a few of them were let go – some of them arguably are better employees and smarter than me (or is this supposed to be myself and not me – stupid English language).  Okay – back to the action….I walk into the Italian restaurant after convincing my project manager that he should let me leave a little early to celebrate my great review and order my normal drink – Maker’s on the rocks with a splash of water and a lime.  The new bartender told me that the Hilton no longer paid for liquor and they only covered beer and wine.  Pretty upset about the whole situation – I ordered a Peroni and figured this night might not get as crazy as I thought.  About halfway through my glass the lady that runs the event comes over and says hi – we caught up on things that have happened since I last had stayed there.  I mention near the beginning of the discussion that I’m not very excited about the change that took away liquor as an option – she immediately calls the bartender over and tells her whatever I order is okay – even liquor.  Let the night begin!  I immediately sent some texts out to the troops and let them know they better hurry or they are going to miss it.  7pm hits and I’m well on my way to being completely pissed up (common British slang for being drunk – in the US it sounds a bit vulgar I guess).  I leave there and meet up with a coworker a few blocks away for dinner.  It was at the Hawaiian Tropic Zone – the scenery was somewhat like an upscale Hooters.  I ordered the duck and it was quite delicious.  After a bit one of our other coworkers made it and the old crew was back together again.  Yadda Yadda Yadda – we had a great night.

Skip forward to Saturday.  We won our soccer game – we now have a winning record!  Afterwards we went out with the whole team and had some pizza and beer – we have a good crew on the team that knows how to put their game face on and then relax when the time comes.  Afterwards we came back, showered, then relaxed on the couch for a bit.  One of my neighbors is on our soccer team and we kind of talked about a loose idea for a plan on the way home – we were going to meet up at his house and hang out and potentially play some poker.  Once over there, we started the night off with some drinks and watching a little bit of the Miss America pageant – since when did A.C. Slater host it?  At the end of the night once there were just two of us left in the poker game – the host said his house rules wouldn’t allow us to chop the pot and end the night.  This was fixed by him sending me a text message saying to go all in just about every hand and set the terms for the split as well.  I agreed and the game ended within 5 minutes.  I walked back home and was hammered. 

The next day was a very slow day due to the previous night’s festivities.  We didn’t do too much all day.  My step-brother that recently moved to the Atlanta area that came in town to play on our soccer team ended up staying the night and hanging out with everyone even left and went to get lunch for everyone - score!   We didn’t even have to leave the couch to eat – diet…what diet?  Lora went out to run a few errands and I worked on my RC car to fix a gear that I had stripped over around Christmas.  For dinner we had some amazing pork tenderloin that I made a marinade for from various items we had in the fridge and pantry the previous day – it turned out tasting great.  Tonight we turned on the TV after dinner and laid down on the couches – we ended up watching some TLC and saw one of the Duggar kids getting married and some wedding dress special.  Sometime during the night Lora made a comment about one of my previous blogs that she still finds ridiculous.  Yes – I’m talking about the one where I said women like to play with their food.  I didn’t say women always play with their food or anything of the such.  I said that women LIKE to play with their food and maybe insinuated that if the occasion arose where it was acceptable then it was likely to occur.  Of course being the woman I eat with the most she assumed I was talking about her and put up her defense.  I told her she should start her own blog because I wasn’t having any of it – heh.  It was simply a comment and it’s hard to justify observations that one has had.  One of her rebuttal comments was – I think males in their twenties like to paint Easter eggs.  My focus to the whole discussion was diverted after a few of these made up observations.  Lora eventually gave up trying to convince me that I am just making things up and never have observed such behavior before.  Secretly…or not so secretly…I think she’s just angry the secret is out.  If I have uncovered this, what else might I uncover next?  It’s quite scary to think that someone like me is on the job and may stumble unto such untold secrets at any given moment.  Surely, Lora’s guard will be up for quite some time.

1 comment: