Friday, September 14, 2012

Liveaboard Dive Trip – Dive 8 (Night Dive) – September 14, 2012


Before the dive we had this sort of tacoish dish that I honestly didn’t know what to expect when I took my first bite.  Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised and ended up going back for seconds later.  After dinner we had about an hour to kill. 

We went through the same dive brief as before but it was a bit more basic – same as last night – follow Sam to find the cool stuff.  The main attraction was a massive turtle named Brian. We jumped in and went along our way – overall there weren’t nearly as many fish as the previous night but it made up for it when Brian went swimming right in front of us – it was a bit of a shock as he’s typically sleeping. Due to him not sleeping our group was the only one that was lucky enough to see him this trip. Other than him it was a fairly low key dive but definitely helped grow my confidence. Near the end, Lora’s flashlight went out and after Sam saw me trying to fiddle with it, swam over and gave Lora his. I tried to swim near Sam and shine the light for him but I’m fairly certain he didn’t need my help. The end of the dive ended under the boat where a few sharks were swimming amongst the other fish – including one impressively large shark. After checking them out for a bit we surfaced. I’m not sure I’d sign up to do a night dive without a guide yet unless I felt really comfortable with the area but I’m a lot closer.

After the night dive, we quickly showered and joined the rest of the group for some dessert and a few beers. It was similar to the night before except a bit of hazing went on and they threw the cook in the water. She seemed to take it a lot worse than the previous throws and I think I saw her holding back tears as she made a comment about the guests not having her back. She retaliated by smearing vegemite in her assailants faces. After a bit more chatting we went to sleep early – wakeup call was coming at 5:45am  (or a quarter till 6 if that sounds later as Sam put it).

No comments:

Post a Comment